Thursday, September 15, 2011

Dealing with a child who whines

I just saw this post on Circle of Moms and thought there was some good info to share regarding how to deal with a child who whines especially a child with special needs. Take a look...

“ My son is 3 and has delays across the board so he isn't always able to communicate to me what he is feeling and like everyone else we have those whiny days. It usually ends up being that he just needs some down time and still feels like I need to structure that for him or isn't feeling well and needs some extra attention. I usually tell him that I know he needs something from me, but talking to Mom that way isn't going to get you anywhere-I tell him he needs to use nice words to ask for what he needs- if it escalates, I sit him down somewhere near me with a drink of water (which he will inevitably need from the crying that will ensue) and go about my business (doing the dishes, laundry, etc.) and wait for him to settle down and listen (this is when I take a minute to remember that this isn't "the norm" and give thanks for it.) I ask him to say sorry and then give him my undivided attention and ask again suggesting quiet time with a book or maybe a little rest to help him recognize what helps him get over those yucky feelings that are making him whine in the first place. Sometimes I recognize that it is tension or something else in ME that is creating an atmosphere that triggers that behavior- so I say sorry and tell him that is a great time for both of us to take some quiet snuggly time so we can feel better.”

No comments:

Post a Comment